Friday, January 20, 2012

Recovering Retro: Rag Curls

I don’t own a curling iron. My hair gets enough split ends without applying heated metal appliances. More importantly, my hair is as flat as a mohair carpet. The only way to give my hair some texture is to curl it when it’s damp and let it dry overnight. My perfect solution: rag curlers.


I was always intrigued by the Bennet sisters’ bed hair in the BBC Pride and Prejudice (love!). It looked like they had bits of ribbon rolled up in their hair, and I didn’t understand why. I also didn’t understand how they had perfect ringlets clustered around their face every single morning. Then I put two and two together, and realized with some urgency, “I need to get me some of those!”



Strips of cotton fabric = curlers

Inspired, I made about two dozen rag curlers. Then I took a luxurious shower, toweled my hair dry and waited for the slightly-damp-almost-dry stage. My hair’s almost three feet long, so I had to wait for a while.


Let me tell you, it takes time to get used to the rolling step for rag curlers. The curls don’t stay tight and the ends slip off, or the curl doesn’t dry because it’s been rolled up in too many layers of hair. My first couple attempts were mixtures of triumph and failure. But I think I’ve finally figured out the strategy. I’ll let you decide for yourselves.







I made curlers by cutting strips of old cotton t-shirts. I made a lot, and cut them to various lengths. I tend to use the longer ones, go figure. But if you decide to make your own, use whatever length suits your hair. Just leave enough room at the ends to tie them up.



 Caterpillar curls!

Why is this retro look worth recovering? One, it’s eco friendly: we’re recycling t-shirts! Two, it’s pain free: no restless nights in painful curlers before a big date or picture day. Three, it’s healthy: say goodbye to dryness and breakage caused by heated hair appliances. Four, it works for long hair: even after walking to and from class in 13 mph winds, I still have ravishing, tightly-coiled curls. And five, it’s adorable. What other reason do you need?


Toned down a bit





Send me pictures if you have success with your own, homemade rag curlers!




2 comments:

  1. Ok soooooo seriously your curls are gorgeous!! I am so going to try this like... tonight!!!!

    ReplyDelete