Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thrifting: Gas City (I'm not kidding)

For those of you who enjoyed a day off for MLK Day, how did you spend your leisure time? My fiancĂ© Scott and I spent several hours exploring local flea markets in Gas City. My upcycling fervor, paired with his passion for collecting, made it an ideal date. We checked every nook and cranny for interesting stuff or good bargains. We ran across a vintage Singer sewing machine—I mean, this thing was OLD. It was made of solid metal and its fabric-covered wires were frayed through. Several lovely china cabinets and a vintage croquet set caught our attention as well. Scott examined their coin collections, but his experienced eye didn’t approve of their selection or their deals.

We did have a bit of success, however. Scott came across a Library Companion edition of Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott. We found it noteworthy for three reasons:

1.       It was printed in 1927. Although it’s nowhere near antique, and is printed on average quality paper, we appreciate the charm of old hardcover books and have started a library of similar volumes for the day when we establish our own home

2.       The cover art inside and out is delightful. From cowboys to the Queen of Hearts, the illustrations depict scenes from classic literature and American history.

3.       Alcott was one of my favorite authors during childhood and beyond. I have never read Eight Cousins, so I am looking forward to adding another title from this beloved authoress to my reading list.
Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott
Nail polish in 'orchid'
Gorgeous engagement ring from my wonderful fiance! Look at it sparkle...


We each scored a personal find as well. Scott found a rookie card of a pretty famous football player, which he is quite pleased about. And during the last few minutes of our outing I stumbled upon racks and racks of nail polish, which I assume were leftover from a discontinued line. I bought six bottles for 15 cents a bottle. Not bad.
Polish colors from back to front: Lagoon, Ambrosia, Salmon, Orchid, Champagne and ridge filler

No comments:

Post a Comment